Sunday, May 4, 2014

Writing Prompt on Coming of Age


            As I am transitioning from childhood to adulthood am starting realize and notice a lot of the differences as well as similarities between these two sections of my life.
            There are quite a few differences that I am beginning to experiences during this transition. One big difference that I believe to be the hardest to get used to is the independence. As I slowly coming out of childhood and nearing adulthood I am realizing how much more independent I am becoming. When I was smaller I used to heavily rely on my parents. They would be the ones who made the decisions for me and they were the ones who planned everything for. Now I am almost always the making my decisions and I am the one who my parents are now asking whether I have plans for the day or not. This feeling of independence is nice but can sometimes also be frightening to see myself detach from my parents more and more. All of this talk of independence brings me into another difference between childhood and adulthood. Now that I am becoming older and more independent, I have to start thinking of things like what I want to do for the rest of my life/my job and my own family. In my childhood, I never had to think about having a family of my own or what job I want to do when I grow up because I had to think about school and my education and I already had a family that I loved. Now that I am growing up I have to start thinking about the future not just the present.
            Although there are a lot of differences that I am going to have to get used to in this transition, there are also a lot of similarities. One big similarity is responsibilities. In both childhood and adulthood we always had big responsibilities for example: in childhood you have to take responsibility of work in school and your actions in and out of school and in adulthood you have to take responsibility for your work and family and once again your actions. Another big similarity is that throughout your life, childhood and adulthood, you never stop learning knew things. Whether it is learning how to do something, learning what something is, or learning about something that is happening on or off of earth you are never going to stop learning things whether you like it or not.
            All in all, in this writing prompt on coming of age I wanted to show the differences and the similarities that our childhoods and adulthoods have. In the piece I hope I said something that made think and or realize something new because I am sure I have discovered many things writing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment